The best way to prevent COVID-19 is to avoid being exposed to the virus. Take the following steps to minimize your risk:
- Stay home as much as possible.
- Wash hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water is not available, use hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Distance yourself from others when in public, especially if you are a senior or have a medical condition that puts you in a high-risk category.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a cloth mask when in public. Learn more about children and masks.
- Cover coughs and sneezes with an elbow or tissue. Throw the used tissue away and immediately wash your hands.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces daily — including phones, keyboards, doorknobs, handles and light switches – with an EPA-registered disinfectant.